Like, Follow and Pin Me

social widget

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

I Use to be Chunky, Now I'm Obese, Trying to Get Back to Chunky, For Now

I am obese. Sure the first time I saw the chart at the doctor's office, it was hurtful. I have not always been fat. Growing up I was chunky. I was never skinny. In high school, I was a size 9/10 and weight 160. I remember my oldest sister telling me I needed to lose 20 pounds. Of course, I asked so she told me. I never lost the 20 pounds.

Prom 1994


After getting married in 1998, I gradually gained 100 pounds. The 16 year old girl in me would roll her eyes and say "as if".  I tried Weight Watchers over the years. Once I lost 15 pounds in 2003 along with my husband. I had such a bad attitude and I just did not want to eat healthy. I clearly remember fighting with my husband because I wanted a cheeseburger and fries for dinner and he wanted to eat our healthy dinner.  I went back to my bad eating habits and it came back quick. Exercise was never  something I did for more than a few days. I always thought "It's just not me".  During my pregnancy I lost 30 lbs because my appetite was much smaller then I was use to. I was shocked I could only eat half a cheeseburger. That's nuts.  I remember one day, I was driving and I did not recognize my arms. It was such a odd moment. I had my son and I weighed 200 pounds. It was odd to have a body 30 pounds lighter because I didn't feel nor see it until I had my boy. I look at pictures now and I do not recognize the girl in the pictures. I have not seen 200 lbs on the scale in 8 years. I could fit into a extra large for about a minute. I gained the weight back and stayed the same for years from 230 to 240. Often I tried to eat healthy and it would only last 3 to 4 days. I lacked motivation and courage to get healthy. I hated what I was eating and I would be monster mad. I gained an extra 20 pounds all of a sudden. My back hurt constantly and I felt like it could give out any minute. I hated to bend over and used my toes to pick up things. Yep, I just said that. It's true. I also suffered from chronic leg pain since I was 6 years old. I knew weight loss would ease my back and leg pain.

weighed 270
During the summer of 2012, I swam every day for 30 minutes. I love to swim. I thought why not change my eating habits just a little. I didn't do any thing drastic. I just kept track of my calories on My Fitness Pal and I stopped eating a 4th meal. The swimming was a great calorie burner. By the end of the summer, I was at 240. I could not tell in my clothes nor how I felt. Although, the scale said I had lost 20 lbs I didn't feel good about it. Several times I tried to eat healthy following that summer. For me that's on Mondays. You know the day for new beginnings. By Thursday I was done. When motivation struck I would loose 5 lbs and get down to 235. I would be so happy I would celebrate with food and the 5 pounds came back quick. I did this for months.

weighed 270

My leg pain was unbearable. I could not sit nor stand without hurting. I had had enough. September of this year was my time to push full force ahead. I am getting older and knew age was not on my side any longer.
I walked five times a week starting on September 16, 2013. It was the first time I exercised consistently. It felt so good to get out and walk. Feels like it wasn't even me. I don't exercise. Who's this person. By the end of that month I had lost 5 pounds. This is it. I had to face it and fight not to gain the five pounds I lost. The weekends are the worse for me. I loose motivation because I feel like it's the weekend and it's party time. I had to be strong and tell myself "fun is not food". Monday came around and I kept the 5 pounds off! I felt like a winner and knew I could keep on. My winner strut was on.  I set a goal of 10 pounds for October and I have lost 3 lbs so far. I have now lost 28 lbs. My leg and back pain are gone! I actually bend over to pick up things. ;) Now that I have lost 28 lbs, I feel it in my clothes. It feels great to see the changes. I'm ready to see more. I will push down the cupcake voices and win.

This week I started Couch to 5K. It's hard and it burns. I push through and keep my eyes on the prize. A life without limitations.

weigh 239



Stay tune because I am not done yet and I want to share it with you!

P.S. I've never shared my numbers with anyone other than my husband and sister. Yep, I weigh as much as a linebacker. I'm determine to change that number.

4 comments:

  1. This is so exciting, Jess!!! You look great! I'm so proud of you for doing this. You give me hope, too! I do water aerobics twice a week and walk around the block 5 times a week. You make me want to find more to get a jump on losing more! I'm IN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even shared those numbers with my husband. NOBODY knows what I weigh - which is the most I've ever weighed in my life. My goal right now is just to add healthy foods into my diet in the hopes that I will crowd out more of the unhealthy ones. One serving of protein at breakfast added to my standard carb-fest. One serving of veggies with my lunch. One serving of fruit with any snacks. Two servings of veggies with my dinner. So far so good. Looking forward to watching you succeed, and hoping I'll be succeeding with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure was scary to share my number. You are doing great! Those are awesome changes. Just keep on!

      Delete